Thursday, November 02, 2006

Mask's of God?


Occasionally things happen that even I am able to see and apreciate the workings of God.
I was heading to work on a Saturday morning, not feeling especially thankful at the thougth of most likely 16 hours of work for the umpteenth weekend in a row. On top of this self pity I managed to feel bad for myself at having to get around in an old, unheated, noisy, bouncy Samuri since my last ride was totalled by a banzai Bambi. As I neared work I noticed a man walking along the road. As I passed him I thought, he looks like a guy I work with. I pulled over and stepped out to ask if he needed a ride, explaining that I was only going several more miles. Initially he confused me because he looked down, mumbled something for a few moments, and then crossed himself. I was stunned for a second, this man was thanking God for a ride with miseable me, in my cold little jeep. I took him down the road to his destination, talking little but feelling warmer, in the presence of a Christian who reminded me what thankfullness to God looks like.
Why did I pull over? I was running late for work, and even though he looked like a co worker, I knew it wasn't him.
Is this the "masks of God"? Did God use me, to give a ride to a man with out a car,(he wasn't just broke down, he had no car) on a cold morning, to go see his son. Who in turn, through his quiet, personal and pious display reminded me that I should in all things be thankful unto the Lord.
I still wonder at the thought of crossing ones self. I feel, like it says in our catechism, it is a good thing. (although I don't do it) Unlike some, who claim it does nothing but promote self rightousness, if not superstition, I have experianced how this simple act can serve a neighbor. I would pray that our church would explore these instruments of faith. The fear of Roman tradition is strong in many of our churches. I don't expect much to change though. No one at our LCMS church participate in any traditional practices, and when aksed about some of these things half our elders recoil in revulsion at anything so old, so archaic......so traditional.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home